Department: Customer Service/Delivery
Window Clerks (Sales, Service and Distribution Associates) have starting wages of $15 to $20 per hour, on average. Window Clerks are full time positions and are eligible for full federal benefits. Click "Pay Tables" for more details.
Considered to be the “face” of the Post Office, these are the retail clerks at the counter of the Post Office.
Window Clerks offer services like selling stamps, envelopes, and other shipping supplies, calculating postage, processing express packages, creating money orders, etc. and are required to maintain a clean and neat professional appearance by wearing an approved uniform.
Window Clerks are responsible for performing a variety of window services to provide direct sales and customer support services in a retail environment, and assist in distribution of mail, work hands on with the public.
Window clerks are responsible for answering customer questions, whether those questions are about postage rates, mailing restrictions, prices or any other postal related concerns.
Window Clerks ensure that proper safeguards are instituted for the welfare of customers and the protection of the mails.
Clerks may also be required to help customers file claims on a damaged package and take complaints.
Window Clerk Associates responsibilities include:
- Receives letters and parcels,
- Sells postage and revenue stamps, postal cards, and stamped envelopes,
- Fills out and sell money orders,
- Completes purchase transactions involving mailing supplies and accessories,
- Places mail in pigeon holes of mail rack or in bags according to State, address, or other scheme,
- Examines mail for correct postage
- Maintains files and records and submits reports,
- Will personally handle window transactions and perform distribution tasks as the workload requires,
- Checks mail in order to ensure correct postage and packages and letters are in proper condition for mailing,
- Answers questions regarding mail regulations and procedures, postage rates, and post office boxes,
- Completes forms regarding changes of address, or theft or loss of mail, or for special services such as registered or priority mail,
- Puts undelivered parcels away,
- Retrieves parcels when customers come to claim them, and complete any related documentation.
- Obtains signatures from recipients of registered or special delivery mail
- Performs other duties as assigned.